Sunday, January 18, 2009

Furniture Polish

I normally like to give my tip of the week on Fridays. I'm a couple of days late. Get over it! I'm not a really rigid routine person. What I am, though, is a mom on a mission. As I stated in one of my earlier posts "My Journey to Greener Cleaning" I am in search of as many safe, non-toxic ways to clean my house and take care of my yard and garden as possible. The bonus I seem to be finding is that not only do these safe remedies work as well as the chemical cleaners I had spent so many years and dollars on - many times they are more effective. And they are always much cheaper. Can somebody say halelujah?!

What you'll start to pick up on is the fact that most of the products I write about will usually be some formulation of the same handful of ingredients. It will be easy to whip up a batch of whatever cleaner you need because it will probably already be in your pantry.

Today I want to share my new favorite furniture polish.

In a clean spray bottle mix olive oil and lemon juice. I have one source that says 2 parts oil to 1 part lemon. I have another source that says 2 parts lemon to 1 part oil. So, I figure it doesn't really matter. You can even use a 50/50 mix of the two. The same results are going to be accomplished. Simply shake the bottle up to mix them and spray away. Wipe down with a soft, dry cloth. The citric acid from the juice will gently dissolve dirt (and the dull residue from commercial dusting sprays) while the oil prevents the wood from drying out. It also leaves a beautiful shine.

By using this furniture polish you'll end up with beautiful furniture and healthier family. Not a bad trade-off in my book.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Tip! You rock, girl. What did the homemakers do before you started blogging? OK, So I need an award...my wrist is actually hurting and my puter battery is dying from commenting so much on your blog today. I am determined to catch up on all I have missed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!