Wednesday, January 14, 2009

From Sentimental to Sensational!

When my son was just a wee little lad he had this intense love for all things Winnie the Pooh. Actually, this love of a yellow bear lasted until just a few years ago. Thank God that's over! Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't like Winnie the Pooh, and Tigger, too, BUT, you can only watch so many episodes through the years (or hear the songs, or answer the what if questions pertaining to such said bear) before you want to pull some hair out. Not only did we have all of the videos, but we also had every stuffed character from the Hundred Acre Wood, the bedroom wall posters, and the clothing.

That brings me to the topic of today's blog. Isaac had this Winnie the Pooh shirt that he loved so much that he insisted on wearing it way past the stage where he had outgrown it. I finally had to put my foot down and insist that he was too big to be wearing it any longer. What a heartbreak. To soften this horrible blow I had inflicted, I promised my beloved child that I would make it into a pillow. This would be keepsake that he could treasure forever without wearing it like he was sporting "Fashions by Jethro".

It has taken me a long time to follow through on this promise. But, alas...the promise has been fulfilled. Today I took this little red t-shirt, cut it down, sewed the front and back pieces together (right sides facing) while leaving a 3" opening for the stuffing. I then turned it right side out and stuffed away with fiberfill. To finish this transformation all I had to do was slip stich the opening shut and ....viola. From tiny tee to priceless pillow!


I am happy to announce that my darling little dude thinks his new pillow is just way too cool.

This is an easy way to save your little ones precious clothing that either they or you can't bear to get rid of.

Now, if I can just get inspired enough to tackle the new pillows for the sofa. Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Pam!! Thank you for the photos and detailed wording. I am looking forward to a break so I can really and truly sew. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!