Thursday, November 24, 2011

Skin Care Series ~ Moisturizers

Hey, y'all!  I hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving.  My family did. :0)  I think it's so wonderful that we set aside a day every year to really stop and focus on the blessings we have in our lives.  This year I'm thankful for a husband who is my soul mate, a son who is my joy, a wonderful family, and a Father who loves me in spite of myself.  I'm also thankful that He provided us with an earth full of plants, herbs, fruits and vegetables to nourish us on the outside as well as within.  So, with that in mind, I want to continue on our Natural Skin Care Series and talk about ways to moisturize our skin.  Breaks over...




Remember these guys from the Oil Cleansing Method?  I told you we would see many of the same ingredients for multiple uses.  Let me give you a bit more of my back history.  Back several years ago I was looking for an effective way to moisturize my dry skin.  The product brands that seemed to do an OK job were out of my budget.  The ones that were within my budget just weren't getting the job done.  One day I heard about olive oil making a really great moisturizer and then I remembered the scripture in  Matthew 6:17-18 when Jesus instructed to put a little oil on the head during fasting so as not to draw attention to the fact.  I remembered reading that He said this because in ancient cultures it was customary to use oil as a moisturizer and Jesus was really telling the people to go about their normal routines.  I already had olive oil in the cabinet, so I promptly went and tried it.  I've never looked back.  I finally felt like I had found something that penetrated my skin without leaving it feel greasy.


There are several oils that you can use for moisturizing.  I alternate between three, depending on the time of year and what my skin seems to be doing.  But, I only used olive oil for several years.  The three that I tend to use are olive oil, grapeseed oil and coconut oil.  They are all pretty inexpensive (especially if you compare them to commercial moisturizers) and have wonderful benefits to the skin.  A couple more oils that are commonly used for this purpose are sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil - though I have never personally used any of these.  There may be other oils that I'm not aware of used in skin care.


First, I'm going to tell how I use them.  Then, I'll share why each of the three oils I use are so wonderful.  I keep a cruet in the bathroom with a little olive oil in it at all times.






I keep the grapeseed oil in an old pump hand soap dispenser on the sink.  But, any pump dispenser would work great for either of these oils.




Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so I just dig a pea sized portion out of the container and warm it briefly in my hand to melt it before applying it to my face.


Let's talk about extra virgin olive oil.  Shortly after I started using it in my skin care routine, I received a catalog in the mail from a high-end skin care company.  They were singing the praises of the product that "started it all" for them.  Have a look-see...


THE GOOD OIL - If you thought you'd never put oil on your face, think again.

Remember when you were a teenager and you had your first skincare lesson? Oil, you were told is bad for you and makes you break out. But that oil myth has officially been debunked.

What's so great about oil, you ask? Oil gives skin softness, elasticity, and protection from harmful impurities and irritants, and as we age, our bodies produce less sebum, which results in dehydrated skin. The question should be - are we getting enough?...



Guess what this awesome product is. That's right.   Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It has absolutely nothing added to it. No aloe, vitamin E, peptides, alpha hydroxy acids..... Just plain old olive oil. They sell 1 fl. oz. in their catalog for $39. I guarantee that even if you buy organic extra virgin olive oil, you will pay no where near $39 per ounce.  If you can't afford organic, just buy regular extra virgin olive oil for starters.  Your skin will still be much better off than loading it with industrial moisturizers.  So will your pocket book.  Here's some more of olive oil's benefits...Olive oil is high in antioxidants, including vitamin E. Antioxidants are nutritional powerhouses that protect against age-accelerating free radicals (think anti-aging).  It aids in moisture retention, regenerates skin cells and softens skin tissue.  Not only is it wonderful when applied to the face, it is an excellent all-over body moisturizer.  If you battle dry feet in the winter, put a little olive oil on them followed by a pair of sox.  This blows the old Vaseline stand-by out of the water.


Grapeseed oil - From Wikipedia:


Grape seed oil is a preferred cosmetic ingredient for damaged and stressed tissues, possessing regenerative and restructuring qualities which allow for strong control of skin moisturization. It can help skin retain the normal structure of epithelium cells and nerve cells via supporting the cell membranes. It is noted to be especially effective for repair of the skin around the eyes. Used as an all-over skin moisturizer, grape seed oil is known to reduce the look of stretch marks. A light, thin oil, grape seed oil leaves a glossy film over the skin when used as a carrier oil for essential oils in aromatherapy. It contains more linoleic acid than many other carrier oils. Grape seed oil is also usable as a lubricant for face shaving. In addition, grape seed oil applied to the feet each morning clears up many foot problems such as itching, scaly flaking and odor.


This is barely scratching the surface of grapeseed oils benefits, but it gives you a good picture for our purposes.  I buy my grapeseed oil at Trader Joe's and a 16 oz. bottle costs $4.  I find that this oil is lighter than EVOO, so I use it more often in the summer when my skin isn't as dry as during the cold winter months.


Coconut Oil - This stuff is so amazing it needs it own series.  For brevity's sake I'm going to try to keep the information pertaining to it's moisturizing/skin benefits.  It is slow to oxidize, extremely stable and lasts up to two years before going rancid.  So, this stuff will last you a long, long time.  As a matter of fact, you'll probably use it up way more quickly than it will spoil on you.  


According to "Real Food" by Nina Planck, coconut oil's main fat is lauric acid, which is antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral.  Lauric acid kills fat-coated viruses including HIV, measles, herpes, influenza, leukemia, hepatitis C, Epstein-Barr, and bacteria, such as Listeria, Helicobacter pylori, and strep. 


From The Nourishing Gourmet: Coconut oil kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot,  thrush, diaper rash and other infections.  It also expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.  Coconut oil supports tissue healing and repair, functions as a protective antioxidant, helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease, functions as a protective antioxidant,  and helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.  It has no harmful or discomforting side effects and is completely non-toxic to humans.  


Now, I personally love using coconut oil as a moisturizer.  It is light and velvety and soaks in really quickly, leaving my skin silky smooth.  Knowing that acne can be caused from bacteria on the skin and seeing how coconut oil kills a billion and one bacteria and viruses - I think it makes sense to use it.  Some will caution that it is comedogenic and will cause break-outs.  Others say that if you get acne while using coconut oil as a moisturizer it's because your skin is detoxifying and will automatically clear up if you stick it out.  I don't have the answer to that.  But, I do know that as a person with acne prone skin, I don't have an issue using coconut oil.  Maybe it's because I also do the oil cleanse method, which cleanses deep into the pores and un-blocks them naturally.  My advice to you is use your own discretion here.    


Any moisturizer you choose to use should be applied sparingly on slightly moist skin.  This means - after you cleanse and dry your face, spritz it with your choice of toner and then moisturize before the toner dries.  This will lock in the moisture.  Remember, a little oil goes a long way.  Give it a few minutes to soak in before you try to apply make-up.  


My point in this post is this:  There are several options using healthy, natural oils that will not only moisturize your skin, but give it wonderfully nourishing, anti-aging benefits as well.  You don't need to turn to expensive commercial products with largely inflated claims of making your middle-aged skin look 19 again.  Let's get real, people.  Unless we turn to botox or surgery, aging to some extent is just going to happen.  It's part of life.  But, I do believe we can slow down the aging process by not overloading our bodies with toxic chemicals.


Click here to view more posts in this series.    


Now it's your turn to share. :0)  What do you use to moisturize your skin?  Are you happy with the results?

28 comments:

  1. So I'm still testing the oil cleansing method but I've used olive oil to moisturize 2 days in a row and love it! My skin isn't getting dry and flaky like it usually does. I'm also not feeling extra oily like I usually do when I moisturize. I'm excited to see where this skin care routine will take my skin. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for blogging about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rik - I'm so happy that these tips are starting to work for you! Thank you for keeping me posted. I love your updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a quick question for you. How often does one do this? Twice a day (once in the morning and once before bed)?
      I just tried one of these methods, got a spray bottle of witch hazel to tone and then used a cotton ball with a few drops of virgin oil olive to moisturize. I did it last night before bed so, in my eyes, it would soak in the moisture during the night and be all revitalized in the morning. But it seemed like it took awhile to 'soak in'. My face felt a bit sticky/wet so I was afraid to turn over while sleeping for fear I might get the stuff on my pillow or covers.
      Am I putting too much on? Or should I just stick with putting it on in the morning only?
      And one other thing, I noticed after putting it on before I went to bed, my face was REALLY shiny. You mention waiting a bit before applying any makeup to my face...but what if I don't wear makeup? (to put it in a nutshell, I work nights most of the week. i am too tired after work to properly wash all the makeup off and nobody is really around that late at night so why bother?)
      Even if I don't wear makeup, will the toner/moisturizer still sort of evaporate on its own and not be as shiny?

      Delete
    2. Hi Jewels,

      The Oil Cleanse Method is a very personal approach to cleansing that differs for everyone. I do it a few times a week. Some people have told me that they need to do it every day. I wish I had a definite answer for you, but the best thing to do is just experiment a bit and see how your skin responds best.

      Olive oil is a heavier moisturizing oil. A little goes a long way. You may prefer a lighter oil like grapeseed or jojoba oil. I've heard that sunflower seed oil is good, too, though I don't have any personal experience with it. I can be pretty lazy at night when it comes to removing my make-up. So, just do a system that works best with your schedule. Every little thing you do right, weeds out something you do wrong and baby steps you in the right direction. :0)

      The witch hazel is an astringent that tones your skin and helps fight aging. The oil moisturizes and provides other benefits. It just sounds to me that the olive oil is a bit heavy for you. I used to just use it in the winter when my skin is at it's driest and use a lighter oil in the summer. As I've continued to research and experiment I have found a blend of oils that are very healing, deeply moisturizing and not in the least bit greasy. It even has an oil in it that will balance out both under active and over active oil glands. That is what I use exclusively now. It gives my skin the nourishment it needs and leaves it feeling like rose petals. If you're interested in it, it's the Moisturizing Face Oil I sell in my Etsy shop. A little goes a very long way. There is a tab that links directly to my Pure Yankabilly shop right on my blog. If you're not interested in that - I would recommend trying a drier oil like the grapeseed I mentioned.

      Hope I've pointed you in the right direction. :0)

      Have a great weekend!
      Pam

      Delete
    3. I just was at the grocery store and some grapeseed oil caught my eye so I bought it (small bottle for $1.50 can't be beat. I didn't wanna splurge on the big bottle until I'd seen how it worked). And you're definitely right, the lighter oil seems to work a lot better for me. It sinks in quicker so I'm not worrying about it rubbing off on bedsheets or clothing. And it doesn't leave my face shiny.
      Many thanks and keep up the great tips!

      Delete
    4. You're very welcome! I'm glad you were able to find the grapeseed oil. :0)

      Delete
    5. Coconut oil is wonderful. In Kerala, in the South of India we use it extensively in our cooking. There is a great concoction I make that seems to work with almost any skin related issues. Take half a cup of coconut oil , warm it slightly, just enough to melt it and add a heaped teaspoon full of turmeric. The turmeric dissolves in it after a few days. This mixture can be stored for several months and applied on your skin for an hour or so, or even overnight,(it soaks into the skin in about 10 minutes) Also works for bruises, cuts and sores etc. Turmeric draws out impurities from the skin.

      Delete
    6. I love coconut oil for my whole body. Since I learned to whip it I love it even more, You need a stand mixer and a pint of coconut oil. Just chisel it our of the bottle, do not melt it. Whip it for 7-8 minutes and put it in smaller jars.

      Delete
  3. I love your ideas and I am about to try them for myself. I have dabbled with doing my own skin care products since in the 70's but now that I have gotten older my skin is changing. I have most of these things on hand anyway. I am using rosewater and with hazel toner now. I think I will try the oil cleansers as well, that is a new one for me. My skin was oily younger and I could use a mild soap even to cleanse but I think I need to change. I will keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this post not too long ago and once I ran out of my daily moisturizer, I decided I would try using coconut oil and olive oil as my moisturizer. 2 days in, I LOVE IT! I mixed up a small porition of both and just use a little in the morning after I wash my face and at night after I remove my make-up. I have to say, I doubt I ever go back to buying cosmetic moisturizers again. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,

      I'm so glad this is working for you! It amazes me how the simple my skin care routine gets, the better my skin responds. :0) I hope you continue find things that work for you!

      Delete
  5. I've been doing a lot of research into natural skin care lately and started using the OCM (castor & sunflower) for my face last week. I just added in a lemon witch hazel toner and alternate that w/a rose water toner. I melted & mixed together coconut oil & raw, unprocessed shea nut butter for a moisturizer. I've had a few blemishes pop up, but I'm 2mo postpartum and new to OCM so I'm not surprised. Other than that I am LOVING it. Feels so good when I wash my face and my skin feels healthier, softer and cleaner than it ever did.

    I wanted to comment something you wrote about using coconut oil as a moisturizer, that some say it's comedogenic. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been doing a lot of research on natural skin care lately and what I learned about coconut oil is if it is extra virgin it is noncomedogenic, but virgin or plain old coconut oil is comedogenic. So it is not recommended to us any other kind of coconut oil on the skin other than extra virgin. Anyway, just wanted to put this out there just in case anyone was wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi StampHappy! Congratulations on your new little one! I'm glad you're liking the natural skincare regime you're using!! You're right about the coconut oil. When I started using it I bought the plain old coconut oil that was available in the supermarket. (That big brand was the only ones in stores at that time.) Although it didn't break me out, per se, it gave me millia (http://acne.about.com/od/acneinformationglossary/g/millia.htm). When I switched to organic, extra-virgin coconut oil it was no longer an issue. Thank you for clarifying. It's been quite a while since I wrote this post. :-)

      Delete
  6. I wondering about walnut oil- It's the only oil in the house right now- Comments anyone? thanx Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnut oil would make a fabulous moisturizer! http://www.livestrong.com/article/309363-skin-benefits-of-walnut-oil/

      Delete
  7. I just started using coconut oil at night on my skin and I am loving it....but after reading your post do you think it would be better to mix it with some vitamin E oil? 100% pure I am guessing and if so how much vitamin E oil would I add to how much coconut oil? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always use oliven oil after I take a shower in my face and neck. Is fantastic!

    a hug from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,
    Love your blog. Found you via Craft Gossip. You know, I have been using coconut oil and beeswax as a facial moisturizer now for about 3mos and I have to say my skin looks and feels great! :-D I am always getting compliments on my skin and people mistake me for being younger (I'm 57 :-D) which makes me smile! I do have some sun damage on my skin from my younger days, but my skin tone definitely looks a lot better :-D I love your skin care recipe's for the face. I also love Frugally Sustainable blog too!! Thank you so much for sharing <3

    alive and well in Idaho :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chandice! Thanks so much for dropping by and saying hello! I'm honored that you like what you've found here. Yay for looking younger! So glad to hear that you're seeing great results with natural skincare, too!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the info on these oils skin benefits. I've been using coconut oil all winter for my face and as an eye maker remover with really good results. As an all over moisturizer it didn't work though. My skin was a mess because it was too light and I had to go back to store lotions. I do have severe dry skin though and I will keep trying different natural products and use coconut oil in the summer. I could maybe try olive oil next, I just need something that absorbs fast enough so it doesn't ruin my clothing. Thanks for sharing this post to encourage others to try simple and natural skin care at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Olive oil is much heavier than coconut oil, so it may work better for you as an all over moisturizer. It's best to apply it when you get out of the shower and let it soak in while you're drying your hair or whatever. That may give it time to soak in before you have to get dressed. Other oils you could try are grapeseed or sesame seed oil. I hope you find something that works for you!

      Delete
  11. Sunflower oil is a nice to use to your skin and don't smell than olive oil, I use this too to my skin after the shower and too my hair when it's still wet. Its really looks nice but not put so much.
    greatings form Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article. Could this be used for oily skin or is there another regimen you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! Grapeseed oil would be better for oily skin than olive oil. Jojoba may actually be your best best. It matches the skin's natural sebum and has the ability to balance oil production.

      Delete
  13. Olive oil protects your skin from UV rays (not topically in the sun; say using and eating it the night before)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam!

    Awesome article on the different oils. I use EVO and coconut oil a lot :) I will try the grape seed oil!

    Chandice

    ReplyDelete



  15. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!




    Face Cleanser and Moisturizer

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!