Thursday, February 5, 2009

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things...

I've been sitting here staring at my blog hoping inspiration would strike. Nope. I just don't have brilliant ideas or inspiring stories...or funny stories...or personal stories...I got nothin'. (Excuse the grammar.) BUT - I really want to make the effort to be consistent with my blogging. I'm hoping to brush up on my writing skills. Don't ask me why because I really can't tell you. It just seems like a good thing to do at this point in my life. So, for lack of inspiration's sake I'm simply going to share a few of my favorite things. Bear in mind - this is just a few of my favorite things.

The following three things are universal. It doesn't matter what time of year it is - I always love them.

- Dinner seated around the table with my family. We used to eat dinner in front of the TV all the time. Now those times are few and far between. Something special happens when we turn the television off and focus on each other. We connect as a family in a way that completely eluded us while seated in front of the idiot box.

- Handwritten notes. I'm all for e-mail and electronic communications, don't get me wrong. These things have allowed us to connect not only across the miles, but in many cases around the globe in a way that many people throughout history never dreamed possible. But there is something so special about receiving a card in someones own penmanship. It's tangible. I can hold it not only in my heart, but I can file it away and pull it out again over time. I can't tell you the times that I have been weeding out our file cabinet and run across a card or letter from someone and it makes me laugh...or cry. It doesn't just remind me of the sender - it opens the floodgates of memories and emotions that sometimes were completely forgotten. I always keep blank note cards on hand for those times when a 'thank you' is in order or someone is simply on my mind.

- Burning candles. I mentioned these in one of my earliest posts, but they are worth repeating. Science has proven that peoples emotions and memories are directly tied to scents. To me, there is nothing better than entering someones home and being embraced by a wonderful aroma. It immediately puts me at ease and in a relaxed posture. I feel welcomed, like my hostess is glad that I'm there and would like for me to stay and enjoy our time together for a while. Likewise, I want visitors to feel at home when they come and see me. And quite frankly, I want to feel at peace in my home. Scent is just one way to accomplish that feeling. I could spend all day baking and brewing coffee - but then I'd be wore and not be able to sleep at night! No thank you. I think I'll light a few candles instead.

The next few things on my list are seasonal. So, I savor them while they last then quietly wait in expectation for the time when I can enjoy them once again.

- Watching the snow fall. There is something almost magical about staring out my window and seeing the landscape transform before my very eyes, especially when it's an unusually heavy snow fall. All becomes quiet. The world is at peace. So am I.

- Big, furry throws. Kmart has a faux mink throw by Martha Stewart. I loved it so much that I bought two. I love to curl up in the early morning hours with my coffee and my Bible underneath one of these. They are equally delightful in the evenings on the couch with my family by my side. They are oh, so soft and feel exquisite against my skin.

- Snuggling up in front of a roaring fireplace. OK. So this one hasn't happened for me yet, as we don't have a fireplace in our home. But one can always dare to dream!

Well, I think I managed to log some words on a page today. Practice makes perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Watching the snow fall while having a nice fire going is nice, if you don't have to go anywhere. I like snow less as I get older I find. We have an outside firepit and use it more than the fireplace inside nowdays.

    Dinner around the table...the best! We miss having our daughter and all her friends here. Our house was "the" house where everyone congregated. She's working on her masters now and teaches 5th grade in Baltimore, so that was just a few years ago. lol

    Stop in for a visit
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!