Monday, December 29, 2008

Simply Delicious Potato Soup

It seems as if my family could eat soup every night of the week this time of the year. Something about warm soup on a cold night is really comforting. So, I'm always looking for new recipes for this glorious, diverse dish to delight my family. I used to make Potato Soup the old fashioned way like my mom makes, (peel the potatoes, boil the potatoes...), then my sister told me about a much easier (and healthier) version that I have went on to ...soup up a little. OK, you know I couldn't resist that one! Anyway, this recipe is souper easy (Oops! I did it again, didn't I?) and really quick. I always keep the few ingredients it takes on hand for those nights when my day has gotten away from me and I need to whip up something fast. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does.

POTATO SOUP:

1 bag O'Brien potatoes
4 reg. sized cans fat free chicken broth
1 packet McCormick Country Gravy mix (The brand really makes a difference on this one.)
Hormel bacos
Shredded cheddar cheese (light or fat free is fine)

Spray stock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes to brown up before adding 3 cans of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer. *Note: I will often buy a bag of cubed hash browns and add my own frozen peppers and onions instead of buying the O'Brien potatoes. They are usually cheaper. This is also a good option if your family doesn't like peppers and onions because they can simply be omitted.

In a small sauce pan add the last can of chicken broth to the gravy mix. Follow directions until it thickens. Then stir into the potatoes. Add a 1/2 jar of the bacos. Make sure potatoes are tender and then top each bowl with a little cheddar cheese before serving. That's it. Serve with your choice of bread and a salad. It's simple. It's delicious. Potato Soup - It's what's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!