Saturday, June 13, 2009

Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad

Periodically, Betty Crocker delivers recipes right to my e-mail inbox. Most of the time I'm not that interested. Yesterday morning I was very interested. There was a recipe for Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad. It looked really yummy. It looked super easy. I wanted to try this recipe - like, yesterday.

Historically, Fridays have always been my shopping day. Yesterday was no different. Not only do I do my grocery shopping - it's also the day I hit Goodwill, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, whatever... Since I needed to hit Hob Lob and my girl, JoAnn's for some finishing touches for Little Britches' bedroom - I had a 40 minute drive to the town where they are located. I was going to be pretty late getting home. Usually, by the time I get my shopping in, unload groceries, put away groceries....I don't feel like spending a whole lot of time in the kitchen working on supper. This recipe uses a rotisserie chicken, so I thought it would be perfect. It's cheaper than ordering a pizza and probably much quicker, too.

Let me just add here: OH. MY. GOODNESS! This is SOOO, SOOO good! It reminded me of a great salad that I have gotten a few times at Garfields. MW kept going on and on about how good it is. He said it is one that he would like me to fix every week. Works for me! It was a breeze to make. Check it out.

Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad

lettuce
deli rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 can (11 oz)Southwestern style corn, drained, liquid reserved - I couldn't find Southwestern so I used Mexican style.
2 TBSP taco seasoning mix, from 1 oz package
1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 c. ranch or French dressing
1 c. corn ships
salsa
black beans, rinsed and drained (optional) - They add an extra layer of color, flavor, protein and fiber.


Let me just add here; when it comes to the measurements, whatever. I measured nothing. Nothing. Oh, yeah, except for the taco seasoning. You probably wouldn't have to do that either. It's your salad - put how much you like on it. MKay?

Open your can of corn and drain it directly into a 10" skillet set on medium. Shred your chicken into the skillet. It calls for 2 cups. I used it all, minus a leg and thigh. That was because somebody wanted to eat said leg and thigh. :0) Then sprinkle on the taco seasoning. It should look something like this.


Give it a good stir. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until it's good and blended and thoroughly heated through. I know the picture isn't great. So sue me.


Put some lettuce on your plates. The recipe calls for Romaine. I'm cheap and lazy. I used the pre-bagged stuff from Aldi. Whatever.

Now comes the fun part. Put some of the chicken on your lettuce. Then start layering; cheese, corn, black beans ('cause we like black beans), ranch dressing, corn chips and salsa. I think adding some cilantro would just send this through the roof, but I didn't think about that until just now. Darn it!

It might look something like this.


Or this. Except yours won't be blurry because you probably won't take a crappy picture of it.


Whatever it looks like - it will be oh, so very, very delicious!


2 comments:

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!