Monday, June 21, 2010

I Know I Said I Wouldn't Be Around Much, BUT....

I need to get something off my chest.  So, here goes...

Remember how I told y'all I'd had a bunch of tests done lately?  Well, almost 2 months ago I had a mammogram and an ultrasound of my breast done because sometimes I could feel a lump and sometimes it hurt. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)  Anyway, the doctor told me she felt it could be related to my hormones because they were out of whack, but wanted me to have the tests done just to make sure.  I appreciate that.  To say that I didn't ever had a mental battle with that little lump would be lying, even though there is no history of breast cancer in my family.  Both tests showed absolutely nothing - not even anything to deem suspicious.  There simply wasn't anything there.  The radiologist told me that as we age, breast tissue can change and become lumpy.  Also, a surge of hormones can cause inflammation in a lymph node which could give some discomfort.  Given the placement of the lump and the fact that most of my discomfort was during 'that time of the month', he felt that this was probably the case in my situation.  Rest in peace, my mind was put to ease.  My gynecologist seemed satisfied with the results.

Fast forward to today....

I get a call from a nurse at my gynecologist's office.  She said that the doctor wanted to know how that lump was doing.  "I haven't been having any issues."  Well, she was going to refer me to a surgical group. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming it's the same surgical group that she referred me to that removed my gall bladder.  I told her that since both of the tests showed absolutely nothing and the doctor had told me that it was probably hormone related, that made sense to me.  She then said, "Well, if you change your mind, let us know."  End of phone call.

Now, here's where I want to pick y'alls brains.

Here's what went through my head:
1) Wouldn't a surgical group be used for something invasive, like biopsies?
2) Why would she want to refer me to a surgeon for a non-existent lump?  What would there be to biopsy?
3) If it was something she was still truly concerned about, why would she wait almost 2 months to schedule me for an appointment with the surgeon?  After all, wouldn't possible cancer take precedence over a gall bladder?
4) If she was concerned enough to refer me to a surgeon, wouldn't she have made a real push to have it investigated further instead of just a, "Well, if you change your mind..."?
5) Could my beloved doctor really be a racketeer in cahoots with the surgical group for kick-backs? Note: I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but something just doesn't seem to add up to me at this point.
6) Or, could there really be something she's concerned about and just not telling me?  Although, this doesn't make sense in my mind either due to the fact that I had 2 tests done that showed absolutely nothing.  And, aren't ultrasounds pretty much the gold standard for finding tumors?

I would like to be rational about this.  My mind in leaning towards #5 at this moment - but maybe that really is being illogical.  I know I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer and I have had no formal medical schooling.  So, any thoughts, please? :0)

XO,
Pam

6 comments:

  1. My first thought was #5 as well.

    So sorry you're going through all this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the very same thing, (#5)...especially given the trite little, "Well, if you change your mind" Like they're trying to drum up some business.

    I don't think that's conspiracy theorism, either...I think it's the consumer (you) getting sick of being 'played' by the people supposed to be 'in the know'.

    After my own experience with the ridiculously expensive (and uncomfortable) upper GI (with specialized x-rays taken by a doctor and a couple of techs after drinking the nasty cocktail of pop-rocks and paint primer-like solution)...where it was a regular, inexpensive front shot x-ray that actually revealed the ulcer's location...I'm convinced the doctors are all in cahoots to keep future business rolling in. Grrr.

    I would follow up on that somewhat with the doctors office. Create a real fuss. Get some answers as to why they would come back with this 'option' now...after the fact. If they can't give you satisfactory answers, I'd suggest getting a second opinion elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeezzz....it never ends! I am in agreement with #5 as well. I would also add that if you continue to feel discomfort or if the sometimes there sometimes not there lump changes in any way to go to another doctor, not tell them of this experience (I have found that when you tell a new dr. of the old dr's. diagnosis the new dr. is quite hesitant to disagree!) and see what they come up with. I know that's a pain but it is a way to get another opinion!
    Have you read any of Suzanne Somers books...Breakthrough; Knockout; The Sexy Years...I highly recommend them...they are a wealth of information and resources from top doctors and other professionals...highly recommend you check them out!
    Have a beautiful day, Pam! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok! I am just now seeing this post. Sorry! even though they were alittle behind on calling you. That could be because of mis management of the office. Meaning your test results just crossed the Doctor's desk. So, they decided to call you. It is still possible that a mammogram can miss something. So maybe your doctor is just being cautious. Since I work in the medical field sometimes they just misplace things and that is their way to trying to make up for it. Not saying it is possible but usually doctors do not get money from referrals. But, could be possible. Any way I know that chances are it is hormonal and I would probably opt to not do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering how you've been lately...I know you were wanting to cut back on blogging and all...but we miss ya!

    Your long lost sister, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello? Anyone home? Just thinking about you and missing your perky self in blogdom. You can come back any old time you want, you know. I'd love to know how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!