Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fried 'Tater Peels


Thanksgiving is just right around the corner.  I would think it's safe to say that most families include mashed potatoes in their holiday menu.  So, today I want to share a quick tip with you that will not only save you some waste, but will provide a tasty snack.  Incidentally, when I was a teenager I used to hate when my mom would refer to something as tasty.  Mirror, Mirror on the wall - I am my mother after all. LOL!  Anyhoo...


Before you peel all those lovely taters, wash 'em.  Most of the nutrients in the potato lie in the skin.  So, don't send those nutrient packed little buggers to the trash, fry them up!  Heat your oil, fat or lard and then drop your dried off potato peels into the hot oil in batches.  You'll know they're done when they shrink up and turn golden brown.  Remember to always stay close when you're frying something.  You don't wan't this to happen.  Drain on paper towels or brown paper.  As you pull each batch from the oil, sprinkle with sea salt or your favorite seasoning.  You could get very creative here.  Think Lowry's, curry, cajun, ranch packets... You'll only be limited by your imagination (or your pantry).  I happen to love them seasoned simply with the sea salt.  Call me a purist if you must. :0)


Incidentally, if you don't want to fry your potato peels right away, I'm confident that you can keep them in a bowl of cold water in the fridge for a day or so.  Just be sure to dry them first.  Remember, oil and water don't mix.


If frying isn't your thing you could toss the peels in a little oil and roast them.  This will take longer than frying them, though.


Anyway you choose to make them - just make them.  You'll be glad you didn't send your 'tater peels to the trash heap!


I'm linking up at This Chick CooksReal Food 101Monday ManiaThe Homestead Barn HopHearth and Soul Blog HopFat TuesdayTraditional Tuesdays and Frugal Days - Sustainable Ways.

10 comments:

  1. These are right up my alley and I can tell you right now that I would eat that entire plate full without any help. Yep. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo...I like! And that's quite a story (the fire)! My son isn't going to be staying alone for a while after reading that.
    Visiting from Hearth & Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the coolest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks so much for this idea. My goat or chickens won't eat potato peels and they don't compost well and so, admittedly, I throw them in the trash. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I rarely peel my potatoes, but next time I do I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Alea, I usually don't peel my potatoes, however, it's great to have a recipe for the peels when I do so they don't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol - So glad you found a solution to your tater peel problem!

    Alea and Barb - I don't normally peel my potatoes when I mash them for my family because that's where most of the nutrient lie - and I'm lazy like that. :0) But, when I take them someplace I peel them because I realize that most people don't care for "country style" mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is genius! My husband will flip when I make these. Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny - So glad you found a new treat for your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These would be wonderful, just like a baked potato skin, only in a "chip" form! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!